When I moved out to California, I decided not to fly home for Thanksgiving as its a long flight and Christmas is just around the corner. When attending a Thanksgiving dinner out here, I wanted to bring a dessert with me that was reflective of home. I decided to make Pecan Pie. Never having made one, I found the recipe surprisingly easy.
- 1 cup Corn Syrup. I use light corn syrup
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups pecans
- 1 (9-inch) unbaked or frozen** deep-dish pie crust. I use a graham cracker crust
- 1 pack of semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil
This year I added some chocolate to the pie. To melt the chocolate, place the chips into the microwave on 1/2 power for one minute. Try stirring the chocolate. If the consistncy is not thin enough, microwave in 30 second intervals on 1/2 power until soft. Note: Chocolate easily burns and does not liquefy even though it is soft. Stirring every 30 seconds ensures the chocolate does not overcook.